With thousands of children and youth gracing our ever-expanding community, Borehamwood and Elstree Synagogue (BES) aims to provide activities for all, both of a religious and non-religious kind.
We are keen to ensure the safety of all children spending time at BES, and have implemented a policy to deal with this.
Our children are vital to the continued development of the Borehamwood and Elstree community, and our aim is to provide a welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere for all.
Children may sit with their parents in the main services at Croxdale Road and Yavneh, and select from a broad range of children's books in both services. Alternatively, there are several children's services which commence at 11am on both sites for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, every Shabbat morning and Yom Tov, for the following age groups:
- Age 0-2 (Babies and Toddlers). Next services 30 March, 13 April 2019 at Croxdale Road.
- Age 3-5 (Nursery-Reception)
- Age 5-7 (Years 1-2)
- Age 7-9 (Years 3-4)
- Age 9-11 (Years 5-6)
During the autumn and winter months, there's Gingerbread Storytime at Croxdale Road and Yavneh on Friday nights for all children up to and including Year 6.
During the autumn and winter months, we run BASE, an interactive parents and children learning programme, starting at hour after Shabbat, with weekly prizes available.
Then there are the really special events that take place around the time of various festivals. Here are just a few...
- PURIM: Megillah dramas, shows, carnivals and more.
- SHAVUOT: Special learning programs and ice-cream parties.
- ROSH HASHANAH: Special services and the famous BES "Tashlich in the Park" for all families and treats for the kids.
- YOM KIPPUR: Special lunches and afternoon programs.
- SUCCOT: The famous "Succah Crawls" and the awesome Simchat Beit HaShoeva!
- SIMCHAT TORAH: A special dinner for all the children, including additional entertainment and excitement.
- CHANUKAH: parties, entertainers, fireworks and more.
During the week
Every summer, BES runs a Kaytana (children's summer camp) for children aged 5-10.