With thousands of children and youth gracing our ever-expanding community, Borehamwood and Elstree Synagogue (BES) aims to provide activities for all, of a religious, educational, social and cultural nature.
We are keen to ensure the safety of all children spending time at BES, and have implemented a policy to deal with this.
Due to coronavirus outbreak there are no children's services until further notice. Please download, print and enjoy the service songs and prayers with your family.
Our children are vital to the continued development of the Borehamwood and Elstree community, and our aim is to provide a welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere for all.
Children may sit with their parents in the main services at Croxdale Road and Yavneh, and select from a broad range of children's books in both services. Alternatively, there are several children's services which commence at 11am on both sites for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, every Shabbat morning and Yom Tov, for the following age groups:
- Age 0-2 (Babies and Toddlers). (Once a month)
- Age 3-5 (Nursery-Reception)
- Age 5-7 (Years 1-2)
- Age 7-9 (Years 3-4)
- Age 9-11 (Years 5-6)
During the autumn and winter months, there's Gingerbread Storytime at Croxdale Road and Yavneh on Friday nights for all children up to and including Year 6.
During the autumn and winter months, we run BASE, an interactive parents and children learning programme, starting at hour after Shabbat at Croxdale Road, with weekly prizes available.
Then there are the really special events that take place around the time of various festivals. Here are just a few...
- PURIM: Megillah dramas, shows, peckelech and more.
- SHAVUOT 2019: Shavuot picnics in the park (Northside and Southside). Ice-cream/Milkshake Kiddushim on Shavuot at Croxdale Road and Yavneh.
- ROSH HASHANAH: Special services and the famous BES "Tashlich in the Park" for all families and treats for the kids.
- YOM KIPPUR: Services and special kids lunches for over 600 children at Croxdale Road and Yavneh and afternoon programmes.
- SUCCOT: The famous "Succah Crawls" and the awesome Simchat Beit HaShoeva!
- SIMCHAT TORAH: A special dinner for the children, with entertainment and excitement.
- CHANUKAH PARTY: Sunday 29 December, entertainment, fireworks and more.
During the week
Every summer, BES runs a Kaytana (children's summer camp) for children aged 5-10.
Applications open Sunday 2 February at 10am.