About the CRP
Following the judgment in the Supreme Court, Jewish schools have adopted a religious practice test for admissions.
Schools will be asking you to complete a Certificate of Religious Practice (CRP), which includes verification of synagogue attendance. Please be aware that although most of the Jewish schools have similar CRP requirements, it is essential that you contact each school to which you are intending to apply to obtain their CRP form and confirm their exact requirements. In some cases it is possible that Shul attendance alone will not be enough to qualify you as a "Priority Applicant".
We are therefore asking that everyone, whether a member or not, who wishes to have their attendance at synagogue verified for school admissions purposes complies with a set procedure (see below), which includes:
1. Pre-registration of attendance
2. Making oneself known to an authorised official when attending. Desks for registration will be available at the following locations and times.
- In the Main Shul foyer, or just outside, which from the start date (likely to be early May) will be available from 10.15am to 11.00am on Shabbat mornings only (this may change to 10.30am to 11.00am late in the year).
- In Yavneh College, the desk will be in the lobby by the main staircase, or just outside the Yavneh Synagogue, and will be open at the same times as Croxdale Road.
- On weeks when there is a Hashkama service, cards will be available for collection on request in the service from 8.00am until 8.30am.
- On weeks when there is an early toddlers service at Croxdale Road, you can attend this service and have your attendance recorded for CRP without having to wait for the end of the main Synagogue service. To do this, you must collect your card as soon as the desk opens and proceed immediately to the service, to be there when it starts. Anybody who arrives late to the early toddlers service will NOT be able to post their CRP card until the normal time at the end of the main Synagogue service.
Please note cards will only be available at Croxdale Road OR Yavneh, depending on which option you select when you register.
You will be handed a personalised card which you will need to keep until the end of the service when you will be able \"post\" it back in the box which we will provide. In line with most other United Synagogue Shuls, we will not be recording attendances on Friday nights.
3. Receiving a signed Letter of Attendance (to attach to your CRP form) only if attendance has been verified.
NOTE: Attendance will only be recorded on those Shabbats as detailed in the Schools' Admissions procedures and will not include any Yom Tov, including Yom Kippur. Please check with the schools to which you are applying to confirm the dates they will accept for CRP.
Those requiring us to record attendance will be required to stay until the end of the service.
This is a task that we would much rather we were not being asked to undertake. However, we wish to provide assistance to our Jewish schools as they have been placed in an incredibly difficult situation forced upon them, because, and only because, of the Supreme Court's decision. It is important therefore to point out that this process does not confirm Jewish status.
If you have any questions in relation to this process please email .
We look forward to welcoming you to our synagogue and hope that by following this simple procedure we can minimise the disruption and discomfort that this process will create.